Hospital is 550 beded and run by unit systems. It is a dietary Hospital. Clinical side rooms (CSR) are available in the ward. All basic and advanced investigations are done in the hospital. It has a central laboratory with three components (Biochemistry, Pathology & Microbiology).Read more
Department of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology
Chhattisgarh Institute of Medical Sciences (CIMS), Bilaspur, CG
About Department :
The word forensic has been derived from the Latin word “forensis” which implies something pertaining to ‘forum.’ In Rome ‘forum’ was the meeting place where civil and legal matters used to be discussed by those with public responsibility. Thus the word ‘forensic’ essentially conveys any issue related to the debate in the court of law. The word ‘medicine’ carries wide important. Broadly, it may be considered as a science for preserving health and effecting cure. From the interaction of these two professions of medicine and law, has emerged the discipline of Forensic Medicine, i.e. application of medical and allied knowledge and expertise towards the administration of justice.
The core aim of the Department of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology is to make medical students aware about Medico legal cases and legal proceedings. Mortuary is the vital unit of the department where Post-Mortem examinations of the bodies for the purpose of identification of the dead, cause of death, time since death, time between injuries and death, nature of injuries, type of weapon used to cause these injuries, manner and mode of death, find out/rule out poisoning, trace evidence present and its preservation is carried out. In case of skeletal remains to determine whether human or animal, age and sex, the probable cause of death and time since death and in case of Sexual assault, examine the private parts in detail and preserve required samples.
Students are updated with new advancements in the technogies like DNA Profiling, Narco-analysis and Brain fingerprinting and their medicolegal uses. Students are also made aware about Indian legal system, Medico legal autopsy, Identification by various body materials, Thanatology,Sudden and unexpected death and its cause, Asphyxial/Thermal/Electrocution deaths, Injuries and their medicolegal importance, Firearm/Explosive injuries, Infanticide/Feticide, Abortion/Delivery, Psychiatry and Poisoning cases which play an important role for them to understsnd the present senario of medicolegal cases.
Facilities Available in Department :
1. Departmental Library : Collection of over 200 books/Journals.
2. Museum : Various weapons, poisons, slides, radiological specimens, Photographs showing injuries, soft tissue specimens, Bone/Osteology specimens etc.
3. Mortuary : On an average 4-6 autopsies are carried out every day in the Departmental mortuary. Students are taken to mortuary for demonstrations. Two deep freezers 4 and 6 body capacity respectively, ice box and other essential equipments are available in the mortuary. Doctor’s room, Viscera room and waiting hall are also made.
4. Practical Laboratory : A new ward consisting of 20 bedded has been established to take care of all patients and special attention for Cerebral Malaria, Hepatic Encephalopathy, Encephalitis and Multi Organ Dysfunction etc. Orphan and Immuno-compromised patients are being given special attention round the clock. Once the patients get settled, they are being transferred to various male and female wards for further management.
5. Demonstration Hall : 50 body sitting capacity room where regular seminars and tutorials are organised for the students.
Achievement & Research :
Forensic Medicine department Cims Conducts approximately 1500 Postmortem per year, Academic wise 02 post graduate seats are allotted from which one seat has allotted to Dr. Priyanka Soni in year 2019, we also provide guidance to students from Central University Bilaspur on their request in timely manner.
Within last two years three research papers are communicated with Forensic Journals by the faculties which are under process of publication. Pattern of deaths in Chhattisgarh is studied and analysed with respect to age, sex, nature of death, cause of death and mode of death in these papers from the data obtained during the years 2004-2008.
Extraction and analysis of poisons from larvae obtained from dead and calculation of post mortem time since death is another running research topic at present which is being done by a faculty.
|Name||Designation||Qualification||Contact No||Email Id|
|Dr. Ullash Gonnadey||Associate Professor and Head||MBBS, MD (FMT)||email@example.com|
|1||List of Teaching Staff||Download PDF File|
|2||List Non Teaching Staff||Download PDF File|
About CIMS Bilaspur
Chhattisgarh Institute of Medical Sciences (CIMS), Bilaspur
CIMS Institute Library is one of the best libraries in CG State & having sufficient number of text books in all subject books reference books, national & foreign journals in each subject & Internet Access Wi-Fi. It has more than 9000 book & Indian & foreign journals available as on date.Read more